Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Favorite Disneyland Memory To Date

There are many memorable things that happen to me at Disneyland. It may be the fact that even though every trip is wonderful, my friends and I always try to differentiate them by doing fun and quirky things. Sometimes we bring beards to the park, other times we bring baby dolls (Upcoming posts about those later). This so happens to be my favorite memory to date and it was actually my last trip...so perhaps every new trip becomes my new favorite- which is definitely not a bad thing. 
A very lonely queue for Indy.
On this particular trip I was at the park from about 1 pm to closing. Around 11:40 my friends and I decided to do Indiana Jones. This was a ride we were trying to ride as often as possible this summer because in September it's closing for refurbishments for three to four months. Of course the line was only 15 minutes, probably due to the time and the fact that the park was no longer in the summer season.  

It only took a few minutes in line for the lights to turn on though. Being a Disney aficionado, I knew the ride had broken down (when the lights go from its usual dimmed to bright it means there's a problem). It was down for about five minutes and everyone behind us had left but I had convinced my friends to stay. When rides break down, the line gets cut off because no one knows at first how long the ride will be down for. But our group toughed it out anyway. As soon as the lights were back to dim we realised we were the last in the line (the cast members had closed off the line due to the park closing after that). Anyone in line even after closing will be able to ride the ride they're in line for before leaving. 
Us passing the time by feeding our baby Walt to a very suspicious snake.


So our journey through the queue continued. We waited a few good minutes from the start of the temple (the first part of the line is outside) so we could run through the empty line playing real life Temple Run (if you ever get the opportunity it's pretty fun). Soon enough we were up in the front when we took the left side of the line. We had caught up with the fifteen or so people that were waiting to board the ride. The side we picked was going through quickly though so when we went up I politely asked if we could be the last to ride Indiana Jones (our main intentions for staying in line after the ride had originally broken down). So after about three minutes of loading we were placed in a jeep with about five other cast members. Cast members are what the workers are called at the park if anyone was wondering.
Us anticipating our last ride for the night. We were pretty excited as you can tell!

While chatting up one of the cast members we learned that each night they have to ride Indy to see if the show effects are working properly. So there we were, the only people left in Indiana Jones, riding through with the workers. My group tends to bring a baby doll when we go as a gag so we had it driving us around in the front of the jeep, a good setup for plenty of jokes. By the end of the ride we were back in the loading area and the lights were all on and we were able to see the front of the ride's hidden secrets. It was then we left slowly appreciating how deserted the ride was. Which, if you've ever been to Disneyland, you'd know it's a rare sight.
My wonderful friend Dani, posing for our after ride excitement as the only visitors still here.
So yeah, this is probably my favorite memory to date, though it probably wasn't THAT special. I just know I always have a good time with the group of friends I go with and we try to make all our trips super magical. I think the fact that the ride is closing very soon made this even more special because I'm not sure if I'll get to ride it again before it reopens. This felt like a good goodbye for now. Until next time..
A very empty entrance to Indiana Jones. Bye Indy. 


-Em

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so cool!

    I wish I lived nearby a Disney park, but alas the closest thing to me is Six Flags, which is 2 hours away :/

    ReplyDelete